Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Reason For Thanksgiving




I know I have been away for a while but I have been busy working on a few projects this week. Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I love this holiday because we get to come together as a family and eat great food. YUMMMMYYYY. So I wanted to give a little history of the holiday just in case you didn't know why we exactly celebrate this holiday.
Reason for the Season: Thanksgiving in North America had originated from a mix of European and Native American traditions. Typically in Europe, festivals were held before and after the harvest cycles to give thanks for a good harvest, and to rejoice together after much hard work with the rest of the community. At the time, Native Americans had also celebrated the end of a harvest season. When Europeans first arrived to America, they brought with them their own harvest festival traditions from Europe, celebrating their safe voyage, peace and good harvest. This celebration lasted for at least three days, so it was different from the one meal deal that we usually think of when we think about Thanksgiving. There were breakfasts, lunches, and snacks as well as the big buffet dinner that we picture the Pilgrims sitting around.
Food that was served on the 1st Thanksgiving: Deer, Corn Meal, Fish such as Bass and Cod, Wild Fowls & Turkeys. Other things that were not listed, but were available to residents of Plymouth in those days and were probably a part of the feast were Lobster, Rabbit, Chicken, Squashes, Beans, Chestnuts, Hickory Nuts, Onions, Leeks, Dried Fruits, Maple Syrup, Honey, Radishes, Cabbage, Carrots, Eggs, Goat cheese.

This year my family will all gather to my moms house and my mom will make almost all the food. On the menu for us this year is: Turkey, Armenian Stuffing (My Favorite), Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Biscuits, Sweet Potatoes & Salad. Dessert: Pumpkin & Pecan Pie.

I hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving I know I will.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not post a comment.

    I have blogs also obviously and would like to invite you to become my blog pal.

    I mostly post about the South West experience through the perspective of personal writings, and my art.

    Maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon… :)
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete